5 important nutrients for sun protection
If you've been spending long summer days at the beach, you've probably come home at least once with a nasty sunburn. Despite our best efforts, people often end up either forgetting sunscreen or putting it on and getting burnt anyway — a recent study showed that fewer than half of well-known sunscreen brands have accurate SPF ratings.
So how can you help your skin make a comeback from sun damage? Here are a few key nutrients that can help:
- Niacin: Niacin is a B vitamin that has been shown in studies to help sunburns heal more quickly. Participants in a study who were given 500 milligrams per day for four months were significantly protected from UV damage.
- Vitamin C: A study recently showed that vitamin C supplementation can increase skin's resistance to sunburn. The study found that the effect was enhanced if taken in combination with vitamin E.
- Vitamin E: As mentioned above, the combination of vitamin C and vitamin E is a potent way of fighting sun damage.
- Beta-carotene: This carotenoid is found in orange and dark green vegetables and can help in protecting skin from damaging UV rays.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Found in fatty fish and seaweed, omega-3s have been shown to reduce the suppression of the immune system due to UV rays.
For all these nutrients and more, try taking Seagreens Food Capsules daily. Every Seagreens product contains all the minerals, micronutrients, trace elements and vitamins that can be found in all-natural, organic seaweed. Seagreens organic wild wrack seaweeds are produced to the company's award-winning proprietary standard (patents pending) among Scotland's remote Western Islands in pristine Grade A waters. All Seagreens products are organic, kosher and certified free from allergens and contaminants.