Blog

3 low-salt ingredient ideas

3 low-salt ingredient ideas

Salt consumption is very quickly become a public health problem in the United States. Already, millions of Americans consume 3,400 milligrams (mg) of sodium per day — significantly greater than the recommended range of 1,500 to 2,300 mg — raising their risks for high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease in the process. Even more disconcerting is that we often don't even taste just how much salt is actually in our food. David Peterson, director of the University of Minnesota's Flavor Research and Education Center, recently told PBS Newshour that only about 10 to 20 percent of our food's salt content is actually tasted when we bite into it — the other 80 percent is swallowed without ever knowing it's there!

Reading nutrition labels carefully for sodium content is an easy first step to cutting back the salt levels in your diet, but there are also a handful of lower-sodium ingredients you can mix into your recipes to help make healthier meals. Here are a few suggestions from Shape Magazine and "Sodium Girl" blog owner Jessica Goldman Foung:

  • Canned pumpkin: Not only a trendy choice given the fall and holiday season, but also a far healthier alternative to tomato sauce for pasta dishes! Canned pumpkin or butternut squash can liven up the taste of a pasta dinner without drowning in salt like a typical jar of sauce might.
  • Fruit jams: "Instead of bottled steak sauce — some of which can have over 500 mg per 2 tablespoons — which is one-third of the recommended 1,500 mg per day diet — mix berry jam with apple cider or balsamic vinegar," Foung tells Shape. "You can heat it in a pot with a few extra spices or keep it simple. Either way, it's easy and sodium-free."
  • Molasses: While teriyaki and soy sauce are often the go-tos for marinating meat, dark molasses — coupled with rice wine vinegar, apricot jam and garlic powder — can coat your steak dinner with just as tasty of a flavor and none of the salt.

For an effective salt replacement ingredient, use Seagreens® seaweed seasoning! Our whole food organic seaweed products and natural health supplements have been awarded by UK Research Councils as a "Big Idea for the Future" thanks to their proven effective salt replacement qualities, packing in twice as much flavor with only half the salt.

Seagreens organic wild wrack seaweeds are produced to the company's award-winning proprietary standard (patents pending) among Scotland's remote Western Islands in pristine Grade A waters. Our all natural supplements and whole food seaweed products, like The Mineral Salt and Salad & Condiment, contain a breadth of micronutrients, trace elements, minerals and vitamins, providing you just the right amounts of sodium needed in broad balance with other necessary minerals.

Comments are closed.

Testimonials

I had extremely high levels of mercury in my body following some mercury amalgam extraction and this gave rise to various symptoms. I finally found a good holistic dentist and I began taking ...